Choosing the right pair of sports shoes for your kids feet can have a significant impact on not just on your child’s comfort and performance but can potentially reduce their risk of developing injury.
When making a choice about what the right sports shoe is for your child there are many factors to consider. Aside from the most obvious things such as getting the right size and the all important colour selection, other elements that should be considered include:
- Room for Growth – Always allow 1-1.5cm at the end of kids shoes to allow for those sudden growth spurts and check regularly to make sure they haven’t outgrown their current shoes.
- Width – Feet come in different shapes and sizes and fortunately so do shoes. It’s important to make sure that your child’s shoes are fitted not just for length but also the width of their foot.
- Structure – The basic things to check with regard to structure are: A firm heel counter – If you squeeze the back of the heel of the shoe it shouldn’t collapse inwards. Flex Point – The shoe should naturally bend first at the ball of the foot
- Fastening System – Depending on the age of your child a firm fastening system such as dual velcro straps or laces is important to hold the foot securely inside the shoe.
- Arch Support – Depending on whether your child has flat or or high arched feet they may benefit from additional inserts to provide more specific support for their foot.
Next time your child needs new sports shoes think about these 5 key points and you should be well on the way to choosing the right shoe.
This was written by Nick Lagos.