To escape the Winter weather, you may be heading north or overseas with your friends, partner or family. To help you prevent aches and pains in your neck, back and legs whilst you are on your flight, we have 6 simple exercises that you can do in your seat that will help to keep you limbered up.
1) Start with both feet on the floor, hip width apart. Point your toes up as high as possible, bring your toes back onto the ground and lift your heels up. Repeat this sequence 10 times.
2) Lift one of your feet off of the ground and rotate your ankles clockwise for 5 seconds and anticlockwise for another 5 seconds. Repeat for each leg.
3) Sit up tall and gently contract your stomach muscles, place your hands on your thighs and lift one knee at a time. Alternate your legs and repeat this ten times for each leg.
4) Drop one ear to your shoulder and slowly roll your neck forwards and backwards, creating a circular motion.
5) Hunch your shoulders forwards, upwards, backwards and downwards using gentle circular motions.
6) Fully straighten one leg out to the chair in front of you, sit upright and close to the edge of your chair. Lean forward until your feel a gentle stretch in the back of your thigh; hold this for 5 -10 seconds and repeat 5 times for each leg.
If you are taking a long haul flight to Europe it will be beneficial for you to repeat these exercises every 1-2 hours. Make sure that you stand up and take short walks up and down the aisle as often as you can. If you experience any issues as a result of taking a flight, you can make a booking with a Physio at any of our locations.